Sunday, June 7, 2009

Quip: tight pants

Today I tried to buy some pants.

Buying pants for me can sometimes be a problem for me in the US. I'm a waist size 33. It's one of the most popular sizes and tends to sell out pretty quickly.

In Japan I have a different problem.

See, guys here are skinny. We're not talking your normal hipster nonsense here - they're stick figures. Tiny stick figures with tiny waists and tinier legs. Because of this they dress mostly in what I'm assuming are doll clothes, since they're obviously too small for humans.

The sizes, of course, are the first problem. Oh, what size are these? 29? Oh, ok. These? Oh, they're an 85. These come in M or L, but we have these in a 4 or 5. Thanks.

They'll have 33 US if I'm lucky - but that only leads up to the next challenge: fit. I always thought that not being able to fit your ass into your jeans was a problem reserved for girls... I was wrong. The only way I can describe these things is Jack Skellingtonesque.

The only thing worse than being a size too large for a clothing store is having a salesperson check in on you trying to force your jeans over your apparently massive American thighs.

Lets just say... I'm never going back to that store. Ever.

No comments: