Saturday, April 11, 2009

Kyoto

Today we went to Kyoto – the capital of Kyoto prefecture and the former capital of Japan!

K
yoto is packed with temples, statues, restaurants, and historical architecture.


Not only does it maintain many ancient shrines and historical buildings – it also houses many of the historically accurate sets used in dramas and Samurai movies. You've probably seen it even if you think you haven't.

Considering this I shouldn’t have been surprised that Kyoto Castle felt so much like a movie set. We spent most of our time in Kyoto being shepherded through the castle grounds. I mean, it was beautiful – the woodcarvings and reflecting pools alone were worth the trip – it just felt so… well… tourist-y.
It felt like something that could be faithfully reconstructed in an amusement park. The gorgeous scenery was tempered by the castle's bland foreigner-friendly atmosphere. I have to say I expected a bit more from Kyoto.

Now that we know how to get there (no small feat – two trains, two busses, and a whole lot of asking for help) I think it’s time to plan this out. I know there's more to Kyoto than this. It’s just hard to get lost in a place when everyone around is busy either trying to sell you souvenirs or taking photos. Then again… did I mention it was beautiful?
Now that I’ve seen the city’s vibrant center I think I’m ready to find some of the quiet corners. I read about some shrines and temples that look amazing - perhaps more pensive and less roped off than the castle. Train times make an extended stay difficult - maybe a hotel room is in order. I look forward to returning!
Unrelated!

No comments: