Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mayo


When I think of mayo in America I generally think of a fat slob slathering mayo out of a pop top kraft jug. When Japanese people think of mayo I imagine they must think of the above - the Kewpie baby welcoming them with open arms.

Perhaps this explains why they're so freakin' crazy about mayo.

Want okonomiyaki? You're going to get it criss crossed with mayo. Takoyaki? More mayo. Yakisoba? Probably has mayo in it.

Grocery stores carry Kewpie bottles in a variety of sizes to satisfy your lust for the 'naise. Today I counted five. The largest of the bunch was the size of my forearm. The smallest was about as big as a travel toothpaste - just in case you need some on the go.

Now to be honest the mayo here does taste a lot better than what I've been given in the states. I can't put my finger on it, but it has less of that... uh... mayo taste.

Today I bought my first bottle - an entry level about the size of a small bottle of ketchup. Will I walk away obsessed? Only time will tell.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I thought of you today when I almost bought some cooked eel in a bento box. But then I realized it was sitting there on ice all day. And I don't know how to tell if eel is fresh. So I had a sandwich. With hummus and bean sprouts and mushrooms and peppers and spinach.... and... and... I know what I'm going to be dreaming about tonight.